- Place value to 1000
- Mentally add and subtract within 20
- Fluently add and subtract within 100
- Use models to add and subtract within 1000
- Money problems
- Time to 5 minutes
- Addition and subtraction fluency to 20
- Attributes of shapes
- Partitioning circles and rectangles; equal shares and fractions
- Measure and estimate length
- Rectangular arrays
- Create and interpret simple graphs
English Language Arts
- Developing motivated, strategic, constructive, fluent and independent readers, writers, and communicators
- Continued development of oral language abilities and using reading and writing processes
- Read literature and informational texts and express their thinking both orally and in writing
- Continue to develop inquiry skills to gather, organize, summarize and share information
- Simple force and motion
- Relationship between insects and their habitats
- Historical sources
- Natural resources
- People influencing history
- Local community
- Personal economic choices
- Personal responsibility
- Perform expressively
- Identify tone colors
- Perform melodic and harmonic patterns
- Comprehend melodic and rhythmic patterns
- Respect the music- making of others setting
- Respond to musical elements
- Create patterns in treble clef
- Connect music to daily life
- Improvise phrases
- Use descriptive music terms
- Comprehend notational elements
- Artistic intent
- Individual ideas to make meaning
- Make connections
- Language of art
- Art-making process
- Historical and cultural ideas are evident in works of art
- Art has purpose
- Basic studio skills
- Proper use of household products
- Chronic diseases
- Conflict resolution
- Call 911
- Respond to bullying
- Interpersonal communication skills to prevent injury
- Refusal Skills
- Consequences of using or being exposed to tobacco and second hand smoke
- Class plan for healthy classroom food choices
- Health eating contributes to good health
- Identify health foods and snacks
Demonstrate the elements of movement in combination with a variety of locomotor skills
Demonstrate control and balance in traveling and weight-bearing activities using a variety of body parts and implements
Use feedback to improve performance
Recognize the importance of making the choice to participate in a wide variety of activities that involve locomotion, nonlocomotion, and manipulation of objects outside of physical education class
Identify good brain health habits
Demonstrate positive and helpful behavior and words toward other students
Apply rules, procedures, and safe practices to create a safe school environment with little or no reinforcement
Students in 2nd Grade take a math screener in the Fall to assess student math skills and guide teachers in grouping students for instruction and helping struggling students. A winter screener may also be given to assess growth. All 2nd graders take a district end of year math assessment.
Students in 2nd Grade do fall, winter, and spring assessments to determine student reading levels and chart progress. The assessments are also used to group students to provide targeted instruction based on student need.
Gifted and Talented Universal Screener
All 2nd Graders are given a gifted and talented universal screener in the fall.
The following resources can be accessed through the Single-Sign-On Portal at my.bvsd.org. Once students are logged in to the portal with their BVSD username and password, the apps will automatically log in when clicked on.
Individualized practice in phonological awareness, phonics, vocabulary development, high frequency words and comprehension
Reading Plus (Grades 3-12)
Supports visual processing, silent reading fluency, vocabulary development, comprehension, and writing about reading
ebooks on Sora
Go to the Sora website/download the app. Then find your school and use your BVSD account to login.
Think Central is a powerful and extensive website for parents and students using Math Expressions, the adopted curricular materials for BVSD elementary schools.
Log In : Login through the Single-Sign-On Portal at my.bvsd.org. Once students are logged in to the portal with their BVSD username and password, the apps will automatically log in when clicked on.
MegaMath is a series of games and activities that accompany Math Expressions. Ask your teacher which activities are appropriate for the current unit of study.
We have some amazing community resources here in BVSD. Check out their websites for resources, activities, events, and more.
Take a visit to explore the Museum of Boulder/History of Boulder Museum.
Visit the History Colorado Center.
Try out some of these activities that can be done at home.
Math Expressions has been used in Elementary BVSD classrooms since the 2013 - 2014 school year. It was selected for being a rigorous, well articulated, research based program that aligns closely with the Colorado Academic Standards for Mathematics.
Math Expressions- Models, Methods, and Icons provides for you an overview of expectations, computational techniques as well as some of the instructional methods of Math Expressions.
Dual Language Schools use Pearson Ready Gen, as well as Palabras a su paso for Phonics instruction.
Non-Dual Language Schools use Heinemann, Fountas and Pinnell Classroom, as well as Wilson, Fundations for Phonics instruction.