Battle of the Books
Battle of the Books is a Quiz Bowl Style Competition for students in grades 3-12. Yes, it is a competition, but the purpose is to foster a love of reading! The goal of Battle of the Books is to teach students how to work together in a group for a common goal, expose them to award-winning pieces of literature, and encourage a high volume of reading inside and outside of the classroom.
When students enroll in this battle, they commit to working with a school team to read books from the Battle of the Books list. The list includes ten books of various levels of difficulty. Students can read the books independently, as part of a school group, or with an adult. Students then compete in teams at the school to answer questions about the books. Each school sends one team per participating grade level to compete in the district Battle of the Books.
This year's Battle will look different here at Eldorado:
- Students will be expected to form teams of 4-5 ahead of time and register as a team WITH an adult Team Manager sponsoring them.
- Team Managers will need to go through BVSD's new volunteer background check process and run biweekly practices with their team.
- While team meetings aren't starting quite yet, students can begin reading now! Reading lists can be found here.
- Teams will be responsible for acquiring their own books.
- Teams will meet every other week either during school (Lunch, for example) or outside of school.
Note: The above form goes to the district - this is a new addition. Please let Jared Riesel (email@example.com) know that you are forming a team as well!
REGISTER A TEAM
OCt 20-NOV 5
READ ALL BOOKS
These notecatcher documents will be helpful in organizing details from each
book and in guiding your reading group conversations!
To make a copy of a notecatcher document, go to File -> Make a Copy.
Please email Mr. Riesel and Mrs. Senteno with any questions!